THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Coffee Chat with Author S.K. Anthony



ER: Today's interview is with author S.K. Anthony, whose debut novel, Kinetic (The Luminaries) hit the shelves a few months ago. Our mutual love of coffee drew us together, and my life hasn't been the same since our first online chat.

I have many burning questions for her, so this particular interview may end up being a series of events. We'll have to see how much she can handle before she changes her email address, adopts a fake name, and unfriends me on Facebook.

SKA: As long as you keep the coffee coming, I'll keep showing up. Otherwise, prepare to be ignored.

ER: While I'm on the topic of fake names, let's talk about yours. I understand you write under a pseudonym, but don't you think using the name "Stephen King" will be confusing to readers? Some might see it as a shameless way to get instant book sales.

SKA: Congratulations. You are the first clever person to realize my scheme. Luckily, I had an answer prepared in case anyone questioned my motives: I'm doing it for Stephen King's fans. You see, Stephen and I are pretty much the same—but just the opposite—so if they wanted to read more of his work . . . in a much different light . . . they can buy my book.

Speaking of my book, Kinetic is now available on Amazon! Look it up: Stephen King Anthony . . . S.K. Anthony for short.

ER: S.K. Anthony sure beats when you were considering using the name Mildred Loudermilk. I'm glad someone talked you down from that ledge. Not that there's anything wrong with the Mildred Loudermilks of this world . . .

SKA: Well, this is awkward . . . I only considered using Mildred Loudermilk because it's one of my real names. I do suppose it's a good thing I didn't go for it; now I can keep my anonymity intact. I will say, though, that I stand by it. I think it's a very strong name that demands attention, and I might consider using it for my future band. How does The Loudermilks sound?

ER: What inspired the first stirrings of ideas for Kinetic? And did I really give you all your best ideas, or did you come up with any on your own?

SKA: The first stirrings of Kinetic? Probably a coffee stirrer. On coffee, anyone can save the world . . . and by "anyone," I mean Annie Fox. Also, of course you gave me the best ideas, but I was smart about it. I wanted to make sure you didn't sue me for copyrights and such, so I wrote it directly from your mind before we met. Whatcha think about the Mildred Loudermilks of the world now, huh? We kan be zmarts!

So let me flip this around . . .

How did you come up with all your magnificent ideas for Kinetic? You know, before I stole them.

ER: I was toying with the idea of writing my autobiography, but I didn't think anyone would believe me—especially people who knew me personally. So I wrote out a rough outline and read it silently every night for weeks, hoping that someone, somewhere would "catch" my brain waves.

SKA: I had my wave net waiting . . .

ER: Exactly. And the first words you wrote were . . .?

SKA: "If I gave myself some time, I know I wouldn't have been able to control myself."

ER: Not so coincidentally, the very words I would have written.

I want to know how many rewrites you estimate you went through before you showed it to a critique partner.

SKA: Seven or eight, I think.

ER: Did he/she like it?

SKA: She said she liked it and gave me a bunch of notes. 

ER: Were you prepared to tell her she was full of it if she said anything negative?

SKA: I'd begged her to read it and break my heart. I told her I didn't want praises because that wouldn't help me fix issues; I gave her full permission to rip it apart.

ER: Did you feel broken enough by the time she was done, or did you still feel good, and therefore tell her she needed to re-read it?

SKA: Nah, funny enough, I never felt offended or that she was wrong. Even with the things she misunderstood, it clearly showed that I hadn't explained them enough. The things she did point out? If I agreed with it, I changed it; if I didn't agree, I made sure I fixed the details so they could showcase what I meant.

ER: In Kinetic, the characters have some pretty amazing powers. [Note: accurate to my biographical details so far . . .] Other than the superpower stuff, do your characters say or do things you'd never do in real life?

SKA: Yes, I'm a chicken. I wouldn't be running into the line of fire like they do.

ER: When you're writing controversial scenes, do you have a voice in the back of your mind that says, "Remember, your boss/neighbor/friend/pastor is going to see this and think you're a drug addict/pervert/big meanie"?

SKA: Yes! Kinetic was darker, actually. I deleted a lot of things, and in the end, I'm happy I did. Looking back now they were stupid. 

ER: How do you make that voice shut up?

SKA: I give it wine.

ER: Is it hard to get rid of things you've written? Put another way, have you ever had to sacrifice something cool for the sake of the story?

SKA: It's so odd . . . I find it difficult to sacrifice things I like but I have no problem hitting that "delete" button. I have a matter-of-fact way of looking at it: if it doesn't help or work, it has to go. I should say I copy/paste and hope I can use the ideas in the future, but I've also just deleted a lot. 

ER: Besides, it's not like I'm—I mean, you're—going to write only one book.

SKA: Exactly! I had already started Kevin's [book 2] last year, but I made changes to Kinetic that would come across here, so I had to delete stuff. Then I got close to 40k words and I got another idea—and out of that, I barely kept 7k. The rest is all new.

ER: Does it even resemble the original idea at all?

SKA: [laughs] Barely. I tell you, I like to delete. Ahem, YOU like to delete. By the way, take it easy on the deletions. My brain can hardly keep up with your changes, Lynda.

ER: You're so obedient to my brain wavy-ness. How about if I allow you to choose the title? After all, your name . . . one of your names . . . is going to be on the front.

SKA: Oh, can I? Can I?

ER: Unless you want me to call it Telepathic: Mildred Speaks

SKA: Hang on, I think I feel the brain waves doing something to me; it's almost electrifying and white-noise-ish. I am at a standstill . . . hold on . . .

I think: STATIC.

ER: That was my second choice, I swear!

SKA: I'll bet! So, dear Annie Fox . . . I mean, Lynda . . . does Static (The Luminaries #2) work for you?

ER: Yes, indeed, it does.

You can find S.K. Anthony in a number of places. She's on Twitter @SKathAnthony, her website is www.skanthony.com, her Facebook page is S Katherine Anthony, and on occasional occasions, she'll be right here with me, drinking coffee and laughing it up over our latest plans and schemes. And possibly even talking about books and writing. Her band, The Loudermilks, will be posting videos to YouTube at a future date.

24 comments:

  1. Static! Now I know.
    You don't look like a Mildred either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I change my personality and looks to fit each one of my names. I had to show SK's pic because Stephen King required me to do so. But Mildred Loudermilk will be seen in all her glory with her new band mate Adelaide McClingy (Lynda's altar ego) in future YouTube videos, you don't want to miss it!

      Delete
    2. Alex, thanks for visiting and commenting. The Mildred photos were...special enough that they'll have to wait for another blog post, I think.

      Delete
  2. I think you should have gone with the Mildred Loudermilk name LOL.

    Very fun interview, ladies. And Static is an excellent title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Julie? Mildred Loudermilk is strong name… not quite easy to forget. Here is hoping my name does wonders for my future band. I need something exciting, since I have no musical skills whatsoever.

      Glad you like Static ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed yourself while you were here. I'm so glad Static won over Mildred Speaks.

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm one of the first to find out. I'm honoured. Great title and loved your fun interview. :)

    http://wp.me/p2rnfx-2C9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Shah!
      I think Lynda plans on caffeinating me on a regular basis so I keep chatting. I hope to see you around here if we do ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment, Shah! We're hoping to make this a regular "thing," since we talk at least this much on a regular basis. No sense keeping all the fun to ourselves.

      Delete
  4. I just loved this!
    Lynda, I read your autobiography, you are one awesome Luminary ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah.
      Lynda rocks! Her autobiography has made me at least $5. Woot!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sarah. I am now regretting not adding my own Wonder Woman photo. Envy is an ugly thing.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you,Tyrean! It didn't take much to convince S.K. to use my idea...

      Glad you visited the blog!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Tyrean :D
      Lynda lies, she twisted my arm and I*had* to say yes… via brain waves...

      Delete
  6. You guys are nuts, but in the best way possible. It was nice to know I was working with two minds pulled together in my CPing lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proof that there really is a "good kind of crazy." I heard a rumor that The Loudermilks are looking for a drummer...are you open?

      Delete
    2. Nuts… but awesome? :P
      The Loudermilks are looking for people with talent, much unlike Mildred. So if you can go Bang Bang, the drummer position is yours.

      Delete
    3. Bang bang huh....I could try. I mean anything to be a Loudermilk.

      Delete
    4. You are hired! But you must sing as backup singer for Adelaide, FYI. Mildred will simply clap and cheer you guys along.

      Delete
    5. Yay! We have a drummer! And Mildred can have a set of maracas or a triangle. Otherwise, she'll have to dance.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Why, thank you! Oh...I suppose I should let S.K. take this one...

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lynda. I'll take this one…Thank you, Vikki :D

      Delete