THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Special Edition with the Writers After Dark Crew!

I need to preface this post by saying that just a few years ago, I would have bragged that all my friends were "real"—in the sense that I had spent face-to-face time with every single one of them at some point in my life, whether we currently lived anywhere near each other or not. I couldn't understand how anyone could become friends—true friends—over the internet.

And then I met SK Anthony . . . online, when she hired me to edit her first novel, Kinetic. Much like the insta-love in the awful romance novels we despise, our friendship was solidified within the first conversation. We pretty much went from strangers to BFFs within an hour, it seems, and it's a friendship that's only grown stronger over the few short years we've known each other. In fact, this week we celebrated three years of friendship, and true to form, we celebrated the one-year anniversary of our two-year anniversary (go with it . . . it makes sense to us) when we finally got to meet in person last summer.
SK and me, on our "date" where we laughed for 12 hours straight. #truestory
So I suppose it should have been no surprise to me that my friendship with Raymond Esposito turned out much the same. We met on Goodreads while harassing conversing with a bunch of whiny people on one of the discussion boards and decided we had way too much fun being logical with people who were . . . well, they were kind of uptight, for the most part. Our combined superpower there was that we never took ourselves too seriously, and it drove the uptight people crazy. We did meet some pretty fun people there, too, but our own friendship extended to outside of Goodreads and eventually to a working relationship when Raymond asked me to re-edit the first two books of his Creepers series. 

I ended up introducing him to SK, and a magical three-way friendship was cemented and just kept getting better and better. A few short years later, here we are: we've done a lot of book work together, we've chatted countless hours online, we've exchanged some of the strangest Christmas gifts ever, and we finally all met up in person this spring when Raymond had the crazy idea in January that he was going to throw himself a 50th birthday party and house us for five days. His thought was that either we'd emerge the best of friends, or we'd never want to speak to each other again.

It's hard to imagine how this works, but the entire five days had the feel of people who had known each other our entire lives, and who could live quite comfortably together indefinitely. Amazing. And because I happened to be in the right place at the right time, I got to be their first real, live, in-person guest on Writers After Dark. We could not pass up the opportunity to film while we were all in the same house, and I'm so glad we made the time to do it, though I will say that most of the footage does not make us look nearly as happy as we were. I think SK and Raymond figured twelve minutes of us just laughing over each other wasn't what most people would bother to watch, so here's what's left after the edits. 

Enjoy their interview, ignore that we were squished together and couldn't move, and pretend we all actually know what we're talking about in Episode 6 of Writers After Dark: Me Can Self-Edit.



18 comments:

  1. Cool you guys all got to hang together. Seems the laughter carried over into the interview. A lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO hard to leave when our visit was done. We're already planning on forcing him to invite us again next April.

      Delete
  2. Fun video! Back when I was working (I'm retired, you know!), I wasn't IN security, but I interfaced with them frequently. They had a saying over there that you might want to appropriate. It was "We can do Good, we can do Quick, and we can do Cheap. You can have any two!"

    Looks like you guys had a great time. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that saying! I can be fast if I need to, but it's going to cost you, and it honestly might not be my best work if I'm rushing.

      And isn't it nice to say things like, "back when I was working"?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too! We were literally sore from laughing each day . . . and dancing.

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness that was fun! Even though we recorded after 3 and half days of straight partying, I'm glad we managed to fit in some real editing and writing discussion in there. I love how legit you sound, Lynda!!! Who knew? lol Kidding, you know your stuff and that's why we went to you!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I listened to myself and thought, wow, I sound like I know things. Even after four days with you guys, I still knew stuff.

      Delete
  5. Awesome interview! I'm jealous that you guys could meet up like that. So far, no blogger has been brave enough to meet us. Maybe that will change one day, and hopefully we won't make them so mad they throw a wild boilermaker at us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty incredible, and VERY hard to split up at the airport. Fortunately, SK and I got to ride on the same plane most of the way home. If I'm ever out . . . your way . . . *trying in vain to remember where* Denver? . . . you know I will dare to look you up. I won't make you house me, but if you want to practice throwing boilermakers at strangers, I'm in.

      Delete
  6. I remember watching the other vid with you guys in it and it looked like a lot of fun. Off to watch the video now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay watched the vid and loved it. You guys work well together. Keep it up I say!!!

      Delete
    2. We had way too much fun for people who had never spent "real" time together. We're going back even if Raymond doesn't invite us. His wife likes us well enough that she'll open the door.

      Delete
  7. I finally met one of my online friends just a few weeks ago. It was the same - as if we'd known each other in real life for years. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful when it works out that way? Glad you got to experience it as well! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. How skilled you are at not choosing a favorite genre. It's similar to all your children being your favorites.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they certainly acted like my kids, vying for favorite status. It really is difficult to choose, because I always love the one I'm currently reading.

      I'm willing to bet you and I would honestly say our favorite genre to edit at any time is the one that has the least amount of corrections to make.

      Delete
  9. This post makes me smile. It's truly amazing how close we feel to others, with or without a face to face connection. And that's really awesome you've been able to have these "dates."

    I hope you have a great weekend, Lynda!

    ReplyDelete