THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year, everyone!

It seems that January is the most common time of year to set ourselves up with a list of intentions that are supposed to make us better people. One of the podcasts from Writers After Dark tackled this very topic, and they did such a great job of it that I'm going to send you there if you click on this link. As they put it, "Why does the 'new you' have to come right after the 'old you' just enjoyed a few weeks of absolute decadence?"

[Hey, and while you're over there, if you really, REALLY want to start your New Year right—and I think you do—listen to my own podcast interview and get your first dose of editing inspiration for 2018. The three of us have a great time and actually discuss real things that might help you!]

Even so, I find myself each year with list in hand, breaking down into categories that which is my life, and trying to figure out how to make it better for me and those around me. One of my categories is professional growth, and a subcategory of that is education. I am of the opinion that the more I learn, the more I realize I still have a lot more to learn. This past year, I had some sort-of goals that got completely derailed for a while and then back on track when I received some incredibly useful advice from S.K. Anthony: "Let's just start 2017 over again. So what if it's June?"

And we did.

Over the past few years, I'd had to put much of my business on hold due to the intensity of my day job. As a result, what little time I had left for editing didn't leave any room for growth, and I found myself narrowed down to a handful of clients I scheduled around everything else. In fact, I'd had potential clients walk away because I couldn't fit them in quickly enough, and that was discouraging, to say the least.

When I rebooted 2017, I sat down and thought about my business goals and how I'd allowed myself to lose sight of them. Obviously, the lack of a plan—and pantsing it from week to week—was not working. So I started writing, and came up with a list of things I wanted to accomplish, and whaddya know, I've even gotten to most of them.

I have continued to blog regularly, both here and at my personal blog, and have met and interacted with a whole host of new acquaintances across the globe. Yes, it's time-consuming stuff, blogging, but I love learning more about the world through one-on-one interactions with people I wouldn't have run into otherwise.

I started loading my stuff onto Pinterest with regularity. I have to admit that I don't allow myself to browse Pinterest all that often because (for me, anyway) it is a black hole that sucks away hours of my life without me even realizing it. But I look at it as one more avenue to share my work for those who may or may not ever find my blogs or my IG account.

I started an Instagram account for my business, rather than trying to shove a bunch of business-y things on my personal account. That has proven to be a load of fun, and I've found some new authors to read. Instagram is where I share my fun stuff, where I run promotions like this, and where I can explore, two minutes at a time.

I got some new clients, I joined the Editorial Freelancers Association, became an active participant on a few editors' groups on Facebook, and got off my butt to make my own ERE Facebook page active and growing. Growth is slow, but it's genuine, with people who actually read and engage with my posts there.

Just in time for the end of the year, I had my branding redone by Rachel at Imaginary Beast, and I couldn't be happier. The new look is great, and now I finally have continuity across all my social media. It's professional with just a bit of quirk, like me.

I think the restart midyear was a good move overall. Thank you, S.K.!

What about you? Did you meet your goals? Did you get off track? Did you slam it out of the park? In my next post, I'll be discussing one of my sort-of goals from last year and reviewing the books that helped me achieve it. See you then!

22 comments:

  1. I like the T-Rex's resolutions.
    Glad you rebooted and got yourself back on track. It's easy to just drift away and find yourself doing the same old, same old and not growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think T-Rex is my favorite, too! I really feel like I'm getting "me" back, as well as getting my business on track. It's been a year.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynda - love those animal's NY resolutions - fun. I really should but am adjusting to life here ... have fun and good luck in 2018 - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those great? I think your life adjustment is probably as much a goal as anything else. You've really changed a lot of everything recently! Happy New Year to you, Hilary!

      Delete
  3. You certainly had a busy reboot of 2017! I hope 2018 sees all of that work continue to pay off.

    I'm saving my goal setting until February or March, I think. It seems a bit less overwhelming at that time of year for some reason. Although I may take on half the dog's resolution in the meantime.

    (The first half, to be clear...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I had to scroll back up, because I was thinking, "I know she was going to eat less cookies, but really . . ."

      I'm saving a few things for February as well. I think trying to do it all right off the bat is a recipe for disaster. I know myself, and I will go full bore until I come to a dead stop, and then quit. Not gonna let that happen this year.

      Delete
  4. Your new page looks great!

    You've been a busy bee :)--- hope things continue on the up and up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Damyanti! I smile everytime I open my page, I'm just so happy with the new look.

      I am hopeful that my goals are reasonable but still a pleasant stretch for me. Onward! And welcome back to the online world.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynda,

    Nothing like a bit of rebooting. You've done very well. Which reminds me, I need new boots!

    I notice you're a big fan of the cherished semicolon. It has been ages since I used the semicolon; never mind, eh.

    Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar has noted the cat in that photo has made an unacceptable grammatical error. Should read like this; Cat: "No need, I am already a vision of 'pawfection'."

    Have a pawesome, oops, have an awesome and inspirational 2018, Lynda!

    Gary 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your new boots keep you warm and snug. And yes, I will never apologize for loving the not-as-cherished-as-it-should-be semicolon.

      I'm glad to hear Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar is still as sharp as ever, since pawfection is a terrific goal and the cat should have known better.

      I wish a wonderful 2018 to you as well, Gary! Leave 2017 and all its woes behind. You made it this far, so just keep rolling!

      Delete
  6. My favorite is definitely the cat's resolution. They were all good, however.

    By the way, I couldn't locate the exact post in your archives, but a while ago you did a post about how different languages sound to people who don't understand those languages... if what I just wrote makes any sense. In my comment on that post, I wanted to provide a link to someone I'd seen performing a song where he sang gibberish which sounded just like English, but I couldn't find the link on the website where I'd originally seen it. Anyway, while researching a certain song which I'm showcasing on my blog's Sunday post, I discovered that the writer of the song is the same guy who did the "English" song! So if you're interested, check out the Sunday post. And if you're not... Damn. Guess I wrote a whole hell of a lot for nothing. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you made me have to think. I recalled that same conversation between us, and after some careful thought, I went searching in my three-part dialogue series in the Editor's Notes section. Voilá! It was right there in Part 1: Regional Overkill. In the comments we were talking about Sid Caesar and his multilingual gibberish. You told me about it but I don't think either of us could find a link. However, you did provide me with a gem from someone else: http://www.newsfromme.com/2014/03/07/todays-video-link-1642/.

      Delete
    2. See? You're a genius, even if you don't remember you are.

      Delete
  7. Love the look and can't wait to see what you do in 2018!! BTW I hold the right to steal the restarting the year thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new look even makes me *feel* more efficient! I can't speak highly enough of restarting the year. Best move I ever made.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like the year was very successful overall, even with the reboot. Just goes to show January isn't the only time you can make a fresh start! Hope 2018 goes well for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about January feeling "fresh," even though mentally, I know I can start over at any time. But 2017 certainly proved that there's no wrong time to chuck it all and restart. You seem to have had a pretty active 2017 yourself with your writing, and I hope 2018 is even better!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on some amazing 2017 achievements! I never set goals in 2017 but I did make what I call a 2018 resolve: "to take more risks, live more dreams, make the world a bit smaller thought connection, and better trough volunteering. But if I had to choose a 2018 goal it would be to get an amazing agent for my book—wanna help?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heidi! I think your 2018 resolve sounds exciting, fulfilling, and as beneficial for others as it undoubtedly will be for you. And I'm thrilled to be part of your book journey! I wish I *were* an agent. Your book will help so many.

      Delete
  10. Gosh! I'm thinking of restarting 2018 again, and reading this post is giving me the confidence since it worked out so well for us last summer lol

    Time has gotten away from me, but but but OMG thanks so much for sharing WAD's podcast!!! And I'm so glad you shared your own interview as well, it's one of my favorites!!! :D

    You know, I'm so happy to see how much you've grown your brand over the past year, but mostly I'm so honored to have been a part of it each step of the way. I mean, hey, everyone needs their own personal cheerleader and I feel so accomplished in my life being yours, so each goal you met were totally scratched off my list too . . . because why not?

    But in all seriousness, you're doing wonderful and I'll see to it that you keep going. And don't worry about getting too many clients, I have a bat somewhere to help keep them in check :P

    Also, also, also, I absolutely love the adorable resolutions made by those cutie animals! My fav are the rabbit and T-Rex, so darn funny!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go along with your/our cheering and shared goals, because clearly they work for me when you think them up. And crossing things off the list is what it's all about!

      You're no slouch when it comes to getting things done, which is probably why I hang around you and hope the inspiration rubs off on me. That and your sparkling personality. And yes, yes, I know there's a bat lurking somewhere to drive off anyone who would dare to attempt a coup.

      Here's hoping we don't have to restart another year. Isn't there some sort of guideline about skipping a year between do-overs? I think we're doing great so far . . . I mean, last year, our taglines were "I'm still dying" and "I'm also still dying," so we're already doing better than that.

      Delete