THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

D = Developmental Editors Want to Talk to You

Welcome, A to Z bloggers, visitors, and of course all my faithful regular readers! This year's theme for my A to Z:
Short & Sweet Reasons Why You Need an Editor

So without further ado . . .

Developmental editors love to talk about your stories. Really! If this doesn't give you an ego boost, I don't know what will.

No more searching for random cocktail parties to attend, hoping for the opportunity to discuss your latest WIP. (That's "work in progress" for all you cocktail-less nonwriters.) Developmental editors willingly meet with you to hear all about it, from concept to characters to drafts, as you describe the big picture.

In short, developmental editors actually want to read what you have, and they're pretty good about telling you how to make it better.

You don't even need to bribe them with quality hors d'oeuvres.


8 comments:

  1. And what writer doesn't love to talk about their book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! To have a willing, eager listener . . . like a dream come true.

      Delete
  2. I love feedback, so I'd probably hire ten or twelve developmental editors for every damned thing I write... if I could afford to hire that many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to think of how many writers are extroverts who want to go to a cocktail party and talk books lol. Most of us, I think, like to hide and don't like being asked about our books . . . unless, as you hit the nail on the head, you're a developmental editor. But only after they've read it lol

    But oh my goodness, they're so important to our stories and do love helping us achieve the quality we're looking for. So yes, I'm super glad they love what they do and that they want to talk to us lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I never even thought about how many introvert writers I know. That might lead to more cocktails and no actual parties . . . or leaving the house at all.

      But yes, if worlds collide and you end up at a party . . . with people . . . who are developmental editors . . . um, not sure where I was going with that. But I'm glad you agreed with me!

      Delete
  4. Talk about my book at a cocktail party? Eeek!
    Nooooo! I'm still too self-conscious. LOL
    I'll first have to get comfortable around the person...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahhahaha You and S.K. both reminded me that writers are mostly made up of introverts. You may have to leave your house for this one . . .

      Delete