THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Worst Writing Advice: Get Rid of ALL the Adverbs!


If you've ever gotten a group of writers or editors together, you are probably aware that there are as many opinions as there are people. Sometimes the number of opinions actually outnumbers the people present, which should defy all logic but somehow doesn't.

In the editor groups I'm part of, it's generally agreed upon that there are rules that shouldn't be broken. It's also agreed upon that there is something called "best practice" that is subject to circumstance. The thing about best practice is that it can vary from editor to editor, depending on a number of factors. The important part about best practice is that it has to make sense.

Take adverbs, for example. Please. Take them all. Take them far away. In fact, anything that ends in -ly should be banished from the language entirely.

Is that what you've been told? Stephen King even says in On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, "I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops."

I tend to agree with Mr. King, but not for the reasons you may think. I've done posts about adverbs on this blog, including "What's So Bad About Adverbs?" in a previous Editor's Notes, so some of you are already aware of my views on this.

Here's the thing: there are many convincing reasons why you should get rid of as many adverbs as you can, and many convincing reasons why they are not, in fact, from the devil himself. The most important thing to remember is that this falls under the "advice" column and not the "nonnegotiable rules" column. So what is the best practice for adverbs?

The advice, when followed sensibly, reminds writers to get rid of the types of adverbs that create redundancy.

He shouted loudly across the field. She ran quickly to the door. He pounded forcefully on the table.

All these adverbs are redundant. Shouting is loud. Running is fast. Pounding shows force. "Quickly" might be used if the sentence read "she made her way quickly to the door" instead, but in this case, the verb used gives a different feel to the movement.

The other reason writers are so often advised to get rid of their adverbs is because they're using them to write in a lazy fashion. It's easier to say "Oh, no!" she cried despairingly than it is to describe what she looked like in her moment of despair. What about "Oh, no!" She choked out the words as her gaze darted back and forth from one family member to another, looking for a different answer than the one she'd been given.

Which one gives a visual to the reader? The first tells us how the character reacted. The second shows us. This is where the "show, don't tell" advice comes from, and is what prompts so many writers to panic if they find a sentence that tells.

DO NOT PANIC. Listen to me here, because this is important. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TELL. You are even allowed to tell with an -ly adverb if you so choose. Sometimes you want to say "she walked quietly to the door" because she didn't creep, or tiptoe, or sneak. She simply walked quietly and that's that.

The important thing to keep in mind is that advice like "remove adverbs" becomes advice because in a lot of situations, it's sensible, removes redundancy, and helps to keep the writing interesting. But it's not a rule, and there is no need to make yourself crazy with a search & seizure of anything that ends in -ly. Adverbs are a legit part of speech that can be used to great effect in the right place at the right time.

Just like good food, fine chocolate, or necessary medications, a little is good, but that doesn't mean that a lot is necessarily better.

21 comments:

  1. Because if you remover every single ly word your work will read a little awkward. Or awkwardly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got done going through my manuscript with Hemmingway, which focuses on adverbs. It included "fly" and "really" in the list of words to eliminate. I'm grateful that it made me realize that I have affairs going on with several words: really, just, barely, almost.... My fear now is that I have done such a good job of eliminating the adverbs that I've gone too far. They aren't all gone, but I hope the ones that are left fit the descriptive purpose you've described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we don't notice our pet words? I mentioned this on my FB comment to yours, but I do notice I use a lot of actually, seriously, etc. because I blog the way I speak. Writing dialogue is much the same. But adverbs in the dialogue tags make me insane.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lynda - when I started blogging and started reading advice about what to do or not ... I just decided I had to be practical and write the way I felt comfortable with. I do look through and take out words, or alter some phrasing, or change a repetitive word - when I remember ... but if I was writing a short story or novel - I'd want to feel I could read the story and then if I could, others would too ... I hope!

    Great and sensible post ... thanks for the medical advice! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Lynda at your service, Hilary.

      I think blogs are all about practicality. If I were writing a technical blog, I'd probably be a lot more formal, although I don't know if I could completely surpress my dorky personality, even for a tech blog.

      Delete
  4. Whenever I'm told to avoid all words ending in "ly" I reply "Really? Seriously?"

    Oops. "Reply" ends in "ly," too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply, haha. That reminds me of one of my homeschool friends asking her son to think of words we've borrowed from Spanish (she's thinking taco, rodeo). He's a goofball, and said, "Gestapo?" No. "Apollo?" No. "Yo-yo?"

      Delete
  5. I use very few adverbs these days and I think my writing is better for it - but sometimes it ust makes sense to use one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The do make sense, or they wouldn't exist, right? I think using them sparingly is best, mostly because then they have impact when they appear. I've also observed that many authors tend to use them less and less as their writing matures.

      Delete
  6. As Lynda knows I am an adverb advocate. I believe that adverbs used sensibly and reasonably. Can make your writing Pop. Now when it comes to using them abusively, I draw the line. But, if you reread your writing attentively. You can make sure that you use your adverbs objectively. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the things I love about AutoCrit is that it lists the adverbs and counts them. Nothing more (at least the way I use AC). That allows me to examine them one last time, as a whole for the scene, and to ask myself if an adverb/verb combination needs a stronger verb instead, etc.

    I've learned to do a relatively good job WHILE writing (a side benefit of rigorous and vigorous self-editing), but the cold equation on the page - "expansively 2" - does not lie, and no one wants expansively twice in a scene.

    Sometimes the 'stronger' verb is TOO strong. Adverbs are a much-maligned part of the toolbox. Removing them all prophylactically is for newbies thinking they are Hemingway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like any tool, writers need to know the function and when that tool is best used. To never use adverbs is as bad as never removing any.

      I agree with you: sometimes the stronger verb is too strong—or it simply doesn't say what you're trying to say.

      Delete
    2. Accuracy - saying exactly what you want to say - plus beauty of language. There are many ways to skin a verb.

      Delete
  8. It's one of the first signs of a newbie, isn't it? The amount of adverbs in one's manuscript . . . or even first chapter. I'll admit to using them a lot in first drafts when I'm just trying to get the point across so I can get the scenes moving . . . but, and BIG BUT, I then revise the heck out of it during line revisions and get rid of most of the 'lys'.

    But in truth nothing is bad about adverbs . . . it's the lazy writing that gives adverbs a bad reputation. All things in moderation and all that, says I, talking-ly. :P



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, look! I'm able to reply to a comment on the first try! You know how hard I've been trying if it's a week later.

      I hate to say it, but yes. Overuse of adverbs is a dead giveaway for recognizing a new writer. I use them a lot in conversation and in my blog posts, because . . . I can. But if I were writing a novel, those would be some of the first little bugs I'd stomp on if I were relying on them to do the describing for me.

      Talking-ly, lol

      Delete