THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, December 20, 2018

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Our view from the boat as we headed toward the base of the falls

Do you know, I've never had a teacher who assigned the "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" essay to any class I've ever been in. But hey, this was such a good one that I have to share it, even though it's four months later. It even factored heavily into my business when all was said and done, in a roundabout way.

First of all, I got to go on my vacation with my bestie, S.K. Anthony, who has been featured on this blog over and over again and whose books I have the privilege of editing. We've been trying to plan a vacation for over two years—and a complete fluke allowed us the same week available in August. Once we realized it was really going to happen, we began our plans in earnest, trying to figure out where we could go for the most good time, for the least travel, and everything in between. 
Shan and me

We settled on Niagara Falls—the Canadian side, of course, because our passports are current and everybody knows the Canadian side has the best view. We planned the whole thing three months in advance and I kept worrying that something was going to happen to ruin it or cancel it at the last minute, but before I knew it, August 7th was there and I was driving to the Buffalo airport to pick her up. 

You may have heard the saying about not living with or traveling with close friends because you get sick of each other. I'm here to tell you that's not true at all when it comes to the two of us. We did not stop talking for any longer than we had to each day. Sleep was not exactly on the top of our list of things to do. Truthfully, we had a couple things we wanted to see as far as tourism, but we didn't care if we ended up staying in the hotel room talking the entire four days.

Our itinerary:
  • Talk
  • Laugh
  • Plan
  • Walk
  • Eat
Careening toward certain death



That was about it. We did one "real" thing—the Hornblower tour (the Canadian side of the Maid of the Mist boat ride). Other than that, we walked all over the place, up and down steep hills throughout the town, killing our calves and wandering into every cheesy tourist spot.


One of the cool things about our friendship is that we also plan business stuff together, too. She always has the best ideas and helps me to come up with some of mine, too. It's kind of cool to know an author who has a marketer's brain. I blurt out an idea I've been tossing around, and she asks all the right questions to help me figure out what (if anything) I want to do with it, who I'm aiming it toward, and how to go about things with minimal waste of time and effort. We knew we would each have a little bit of work to do while we were away, but were mostly determined to have fun and sound out genius ideas.
My new space!


Since we were both working on creating home offices this summer, we had a lot of notes to compare. Would you believe we ended up planning to order the same desk, but we both got cold feet about some of the reviews, and then we found another desk we both loved—because by then, we'd already gotten used to the idea that our desks were going to match, so there was no going back. We even ended up with the same office chair, completely by accident. Unlike my office, though, hers is now completely decorated and looks beautiful. Mine has a shelf I love, a new computer, and a whole lot of plans for how to decorate the rest of it and maximize its function. I'm just happy to have a space of my own with a sister-office in New York.

I hope we don't have to wait over two and a half years to see each other again. Maybe we can sneak away next year and plan a kitchen remodel . . .


8 comments:

  1. Sister offices AND sister kitchens? I'm in! Before you know it, the Lynda-SK offices will take over the world . . . the only requirement to be "part of us" is to help cover our travel expenses to, umm, "check out" the spaces—we don't ask for much, just promise to keep us caffeinated and we're there.

    What a fun trip that was! You're the best! AND you have an awesome office, if I do say so myself (even though it's yours, but that's neither here nor there lol)! #Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we need to start planning where our sister offices will be located. I think they need one in the Potter World parks . . . just as an off-the-top-of-my-head thought, of course. We'll have to scout it out to see if they're worthy of us.

      In the meantime, KITCHENS! And stuff. I can't wait to vacation with you again, homiecita! #Sisterhood #NB #OB #KB and of course #ourownhashtag

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful thing to do together.

    Merry Christmas to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you, Alicia!

      Yes, we had a great time and are in full agreement that 2+ years between visits is much too long.

      Delete
  3. Have a wonderful holiday season!
    :snowflake: ❄️
    Wishing you and your loved ones peace, health, happiness, and prosperity in the coming New Year. Thank you for your kindness and caring.

    That's an amazing story! I love the falls. The cave behind them is such a neat experience. That's cool you've got the same desk.

    - J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're enjoying your holidays as well!

      I've only been to the falls a handful of times, and each time is still magical. This was the first time I've done the boat ride, and it was well worth it.

      We really do love that our offices match in so many ways.

      Delete
  4. You two need to plan a winter vacation in Florida. I know some great places . I am glad you two got to spend some quality time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'd both agree to any vacation that involved Harry Potter. And yes, we sure know how to pack a wallop with the time we have available. Just ask the lady whose room was next to ours in the hotel.

      Delete