THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, January 24, 2019

WRITING MISCONCEPTIONS: We Don't Want to Steal Your Book


At least once a month, I see a question on writing or editing forums that sounds roughly like this:

"I am almost ready to hire an editor for my manuscript, but I'm scared of someone stealing my work. What legal measures do you all have in place to make sure this doesn't happen?"

I'm going to generalize quite a bit here, so if you don't feel this way or haven't run into this before, please don't get indignant. I understand that every writer doesn't think like this. However . . .

I've found that if there are only writers in the group, there are always at least a few who "have heard of this happening so often" and that's why they either self-edit only, copyright their work beforehand, or have a recommended editor sign a nondisclosure agreement.

If there are a lot of editors in the group, the general response runs more along the lines of this:

  • I have never considered stealing someone's work.
  • I have been in this business for over twenty years and have never heard of this actually happening to anyone.
  • I have never met anyone who can give me a real name of someone they know who has had this happen to them.
  • The people who need the NDA the least (e.g. new/inexperienced authors) are usually the ones asking about theft, and those who have the most experience typically don't ask. Those who insist are also the people who are generally difficult to work with and don't deal well with changes or criticism.
  • I already have a confidentiality clause in my contract and if that's not good enough, I don't want to work with that person. An NDA request from an indie fiction author is often a red flag that they don't understand how the publishing process works.
  • I'm a writer myself and have my own story ideas to worry about, and don't have the time or energy to redevelop yours . . . OR
  • I'm not a writer. I'm an editor. Editors are not "frustrated writers" who need to steal ideas to feel validated in the writing world.
I saw it pop up again just the other day as I was working on this post. This time, the author was asking about beta readers and how a writer can feel safe, sending their work off to strangers who might steal it. Yet, he was having trouble getting friends and family to beta for him. (The whole "friends and family" thing is fodder for another post. No worries, you'll read about it here.)

The general concensus among experienced writers and editors is that some authors spend a lot of time on author-only pages, and the misinformation they come away with in regard to publishing is astounding. It reminds me of the Yahoo Answers boards where a bunch of people "answer" a question with "I don't know," or "I've always thought [fill in the blank]." There are no legitimate answer-givers and no one to contradict anyone with actual facts.

Here are some facts—from real editors I interact with—that will hopefully reassure any skittish writers:

  • If I stole people's work, I wouldn't be in business very long.
  • Anyone who knows anything at all about copyright and intellectual property laws knows it wouldn't be worth the risk.
  • No self-respecting professional would even think about it.
  • Most of stolen books are stolen AFTER they're published. They are stolen by people who have never had contact with the author, and who don't care about copyright.
  • Even if you are the next Stephen King or J.K. Rowling, we would still not steal your work, but we'd be very happy to make your acquaintance and be your editor. VERY happy.

12 comments:

  1. "If I stole people's work, I wouldn't be in business very long." That's the very first reply that came to my mind. Unless, of course, the editor in question didn't really want to be an editor, just a millionaire published author. If that's the case, as long as this editor's very first client writes a book so obviously great that it's guaranteed to be #1 best seller, with an additional guarantee of a major movie deal... Well! Then it would make perfect sense for the editor to steal that book and achieve his/her goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that completely improbable scenario so much.

      An "editor" who steals a book to publish makes me think of people who rob a gas station. I mean, sheesh, if you're going to rob someone, make sure you get a bajillion dollars so you only have to do it once and retire to an island somewhere. Don't wreck your life for something that's not worth it.

      And that's exactly why just about nobody actually does this.

      Delete
  2. Okay, but what if the editor just "sold" the idea to someone in another country and . . . and . . . and . . . no? LOL

    Let's not get crazy, it's a valid concern that can scare anyone who's only now getting in the business of writing. All they have to do is some research on the law, as you mentioned, and know it wouldn't be worth the hassle. That being said, I see this more for betas than for editors, since editors have a legit business and must keep their reputation intact. For those who go to Goodreads or any forum and just give it to random strangers to beta, I can understand a little more why they'd worry . . . but then, don't go to random strangers. I mention that because I've only seen these concerns on those public groups. For editors, I find it kind of silly lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've hit on the real issue here: these are inexperienced authors, talking only to inexperienced authors and strangers. The blind leading the blind, essesntially, and the discussion that often goes on in those groups is full of urban legend and superstition more than legit advice at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a movie and TV meme - and all authors know that means it's true.

    Really?

    Write something that is so you it could never be stolen; that's the best strategy!

    The things that do get stolen are very far from beginner novels, and there are a bunch of schemes which have been caught by attentive readers (a male/female romance turned into a male/male one by changing a few things sticks in my mind as a lot of nerve). The Passive Voice posts about these occasionally.

    But the minute the work becomes popular, the thief gets caught. And if it's not popular, the author isn't losing much.

    Therein lies the dilemma for a thief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The likelihood of someone writing something so good as to inspire theft, AND so generic that an author can't prove the idea was theirs to begin with—those are not betting odds, that's for sure.

      I just checked out The Passive Voice and followed him on Twitter. Great blog!

      Delete
  5. Since publishing is not a very lucrative business (but one I cannot stop) stealing another's work that is most likely a big load of drivel seems strange. Most people get this "so and so stole so and so's book IDEA" stems from the fact that people would accuse big production companies of stealing there scripts and it has just moved to publishing now I believe. Plus the sheer audacity to think your first novel is worth stealing... Anyway, I do my best to quash this urban legend anytime I can. What I always recommend it to develop a trust relationship with your editor before you send them your work if you have trust issues. How long did we talk before I commissioned you the first time, Lynda. MAybe I should do a blog post about this very thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a blog post is a great idea. The more authors who dispel the rumors, the better. So much of what's traded on author-only forums isn't based on reality or even a clear understanding of the publishing business.

      Delete
  6. Had another thought: steal my book, make it wildly popular, and then I'll swoop in, show my copyright registration from the Library of Congress, and rise to new heights with the PR fallout. 'Go ahead; make my day.'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynda - it's common sense isn't it ... and as you say people who have no knowledge or don't think - lots of those around. I'm just grateful to be a part of this group and to know there are people who can help when I need it ... great post and I'd better check out JT's ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete