THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, June 9, 2016

What You May Have Missed . . . the Good Stuff

All right, so I've been gone for quite a while. Part of what kept me too busy to blog was my day job, but a good portion of my time outside that job was devoted to editing and more editing, and that's what I'm going to talk about today, since that's kind of the purpose of this blog.

When I edit a book, I'll often promote it here once it's published. Not always, but when I have time and it fits in my schedule. Or maybe I play favorites . . . who knows? It's my blog and I can do what I want. Not only that, I typically enjoy most of the stuff I work on, so it's more along the lines of recommending a book to a friend.

Anyway, here are the more recent things I wasn't around to shove in your face promote when I worked on them, but that you should check out anyway (direct links to these books on Amazon can be found in my "links" tab):

Keepers of Arden: The Brothers (book 2) by L.K. Evans—Dark fantasy, superbly written saga involving war, mages, evil, gods, the abuse of power, and destiny of two brothers. Part of a series, so make sure you check out Book 1 first.

The Forest of Windellyn by Andrew Marr—Juvenile fiction, fun and thoughtful, in which children are being kidnapped and replaced by elves intent on stealing their souls. The rescue involves a forest which has been created out of cyberspace by the elves, and all the complications that arise from the mesh of reality and cyber.

Bloodwinter: Immortalibus Bella 3 by S.L. Figuhr—Dystopian dark fantasy, incredibly detailed and intricately woven. There are royals and peasants, corruption and greed, mortals and immortals. What more could you ask for?

Beneath the Gathering Storm (The Creepers Saga Book 3) by Raymond Esposito—Post-apocalyptic dark fiction/horror filled with all the great stuff I'm always telling you about Raymond's writing. He thought this would be the final book of the series until he sat down to write it, and is sincerely hoping there's only one more to tie things up. If you haven't picked up the previous two Creepers books, you really need to get with the program. You'll never look back. I had the privilege of flying to Raymond's home in Florida in April to celebrate his birthday with his family (and S.K.!!), and I got to see his beautiful and interestingly designed office where all the magic happens. I'm sure you'll be hearing more about that in future blog posts here.

Static (The Luminaries Book 2) by S.K. Anthony—Fiction that falls under everything from "superheroes" to "coming of age," it seems. All I know is that it's great. S.K. and I have had a lot of adventures, so my opinion could be biased. However, it's not. She's just a terrific writer and her books speak for themselves. They're full of characters you want to be friends with (or beat up), superpowers you wish you had, and plots that are "curiouser and curiouser," as Alice would say. The third book in this series is in the works and I can't wait to see where it all goes. S.K. and I were able to meet in person for the first time last summer on our two-year anniversary of knowing each other and decided one of our husbands has to pack us up and move to where the other one lives, because we were seriously meant to be next-door neighbors. Or roommates. Living at Raymond's house for four days in the spring only cemented our decision.

Star Trek: The Four Years War; Star Trek: The Romulan War; Star Trek: The Four Years War and Romulan War Technical Manual; and Star Trek, the Next Generation: Pirate's Cove by Stephen Fender—Military space science fiction at its best. The reason I mention these last is because if you missed out on the Kickstarters for these, you missed out on something special and you, unlike me, will not be the proud owners of limited edition Star Trek books. The eight novels and one technical manual account for probably 60% of what has kept me busy over the past two years, with over 500 editing hours logged. I don't get a whole lot of rest when we're working on a project, and I'm pretty sure Stephen is glad to live on the opposite side of the country from me, well out of choking range, when things are busy.

So . . . yep, things have been active on my end of things, to say the least. And that's just the editing portion, which, by its order in the balance of my life, comes after the 40-hour job. But I love both jobs because even though they're work, they're satisfying and enjoyable and I can't imagine giving up either one completely.

Have you read anything over the past few months you simply couldn't put down? Something that had a plot twist that surprised you? I'd love to hear about it as I continue to catch up with what I've missed.



17 comments:

  1. Hey, I know SK!
    Star Trek books. Very cool. I'd get lost reading them and forget to edit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did have to slow myself down and reread a lot on the Star Trek books. I also found myself making space battle noises, so I usually edited while alone.

      Delete
  2. I have trouble putting down everything I read. I hate to put down my book so I can blog.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for the moments when I can read simply for pleasure, since I'm always reading for edits or reading for work/discussion. Then I realize that most of my editing really is pleasurable anyway. I would read before turning on a TV any day of the week.

      Delete
  3. You are one busy, lady. Sounds like you've edited some really good reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel really fortunate to have enjoyed almost every book I've ever edited. And it certainly does keep me hopping!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure. Have a great Sunday:)

      Delete
  4. You've been really busy!
    I love reading for pleasure...there are too many books on my ever-expanding TBR and too little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, I love being busy (though I'm not someone who thrives on it), and I'm happy to have always had steady editing work. I did learn my limits the hard way but thankfully have found a nice balance again. Hooray for that! And yep, I also have the TBR list that doesn't get touched nearly as often as I'd prefer.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynda,

    Wow, that's an impressive list of editing you've done. Trying to maintain a balance in life can be rather difficult. I think you're doing a good job at it. I'm busy trying to not be busy :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, Gary—I also love being lazy. Or simply unoccupied. I'll take those quiet moments when I can find them!

      Delete
  6. That's a pretty good resume you've assembled just in this post. That's fantastic. I bet those books have all been polished shinier than a shiny thing that is shiny (please edit this post for us?).

    And hey, I know SK, and I know Static, too! That's coming up soon on my list of Kindle books I've downloaded and need to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I don't know if I can truly improve on a sentence like, ". . . polished shinier than a shiny thing that is shiny." You could always add a few "very very"s in there, because editors LOVE those. It gives us something to do. And speaking of something to do, I'm reminded that I didn't get your book yet from Amazon, so I'm off to do that right now. I may not get to read it for a couple weeks, but I'll be sure to review it when I do!

      Delete
  7. I love this list of books!!!!
    Not just because I'm part of it, but . . . okay, all right, yes, it's because of that :P
    And and and, YES to being neighbors! Make it happen. Stat. I do miss our in-person shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a great list, isn't it? And as far as the in-person shenanigans, I vote for Raymond to buy some sort of compound so we can all live together on it in a totally not-creepy way.

      Delete
  8. You must edit up a storm, Lynda. This is quite a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get a new manuscript, I generally don't stop until it's done, unless I have an outside obligation (other than my day job). I don't like working on multiple books at a time, since it breaks my focus. But if I have to wait between rounds, I typically have something else I'm working on. It does keep me busy . . . sometimes too much, but I'm working on that balance and trying to not make myself crazy. (crazier?)

      Delete