THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Writer's Block and Getting My Groove Back

One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comics
by Bill Watterson

I found myself having a hard time coming up with a post for this week. Actually, I realized—too late, of course—that I should have had a post ready for last week instead, according to my "post every other week" pattern. Oops.

Better late than never, right? Except that I have too many ideas and no ideas, all at the same time. I have at least nine drafts in my folder, and none of them appeal to me right now as things I want to write about. "Drafts" is sort of a loose term, too . . . some have a couple paragraphs, and some are a single sentence with a main idea that may or may not still make sense to me now. (Think goat—shoes—apostrophes—passive voice and you'll get the idea of why I'm writing this blatantly generic post.)

I blame the AtoZ Challenge. Yes, that was back in April . . . and I wrote the posts in March so I could preschedule them . . . and now it's June . . . but somehow, the month of May threw me off my groove. I've been crazy busy with editing jobs, which has been wonderful, and if everyone who's booked ahead comes in on time, I'll be crazy busy with editing jobs through the summer months.

I've also taken some editing classes over the past couple months and have started a six-week course this week to improve my copyediting skills. It pays to keep up the skills I have and to learn new ones. The language is always changing. I work in a variety of genres, both fiction and nonfiction. Authors and their writing skills vary from client to client, and I never know what skills I'm going to need until I start a particular job. Am I doing a simple copyedit? Am I making major structural changes? Am I coaching as I go along so the writing improves for the next book? Am I fact-checking?

I'm encouraged by the number of good writers I'm working with, and I'm encouraged by the humble, teachable attitude of the newer writers I've worked with recently—those whose work has "good bones" and simply needs a little elbow grease. It's a good season and I'm happy for the way Easy Reader Editing has grown and continues to grow.

One of the changes that is on the horizon is that I'm moving the "business" end of this site to an actual website instead of trying to mold my blog into a do-it-all spot. The blog itself will stay the same, and it will remain here on Blogger, but it will link through my new site, and all the pesky details of services and pricing will be moved so it doesn't clutter up the works here. If all goes well in the setup, it should be almost a non-event for blog readers.

So hey, I guess I had some things to say, even if they rambled a bit. In the event that you'd like to see a blog post about something other than goats, shoes, and apostrophes, let me know in the comments, and I'll gladly do some research to accommodate you. I love to answer the burning questions that no one else cares about can.

15 comments:

  1. I wouldn't know what I meant by those notes either.
    That's cool you are setting up a new website. And that you continue to learn and grow as an editor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I'm excited at changes and new skills and polishing up what I love to do.

      Delete
  2. "Drafts" is sort of a loose term, too . . . some have a couple paragraphs, and some are a single sentence with a main idea that may or may not still make sense to me now. Wow, I could have written that sentence!

    I have a few more unfinished drafts than you do, though. Like, almost 200!

    I've been taking it easy myself for the last two or three weeks, re-posting old poetry, mostly.

    Never apologize for neglecting your blog because you've had paying work. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious and frightened at the idea of having 200 drafts! I looked at mine and figured if they bored ME, there's no way anyone else would want to read them right now.

      And yepperoo, I'm always happy to have paying work as a reason for busyness. I've gotten to know some really neat people and I always have a good time with the variety. I don't know that I'd ever want to limit myself to a single genre.

      Delete
  3. You made me go check: my list of posts for my main writer's blog has 547 posts published (since 2012 when I started blogging) and fifty-six drafts.

    That's a lot of drafts. Every so often I go poke at them, and sometimes finish the idea, but I know what you mean.

    Back before total upheaval in my life (we're selling the house and moving cross-country), I started a Patreon, and have scheduled the reward posts to mid-July. That was good thinking - because I doubt I could do one between now and then (I'm serializing the second book in the trilogy on my new Patreon site for those who claim they can't wait and/or want the fancy backstage passes to my 'process').

    But it has been unbelievably stressful lately - and I'm just trying not to crack. Writing fiction is on hold until a whole bunch of steps have been taken, and I'm fidgety and unhappy because of that - I've never taken such a break.

    Separating personal blog from business sounds smart - hope that goes very well for you. Ditto taking classes to improve skills. Have some fun with it.

    Blog when you can - it's a volunteer activity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm starting to feel like a slacker now, with your fifty-six drafts and Silver Fox's two hundred.

      You sound like you have an awful lot going on! And yes, let yourself rest if you can (right, because moving across the country is all about resting). Have you ever looked into Dragon software to dictate your writing? I've heard good things . . . maybe it will allow you to get the ideas out of your head.

      Delete
    2. I use Dragon off and on it is helpful especially when I am on the road

      Delete
  4. I love it when you ramble lol You've been busy and as you continue to grow (awesomely, I might add), things will just get even more interesting lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rambling, some say, is what I do best. You've listened to enough of it. And you'll get to listen to a lot more of it in two months!

      I'm so happy about all the business growth, and am even more happy that you've been willing to capably advise me on what works and what doesn't. I'd still be floundering if it weren't for S.K. Anthony, Marketing Genius, by my side! #NB Here's to things becoming as interesting as possible.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynda - what you're saying makes a lot of sense ... and I'll keep tabs on your MBIP - move business in progress! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary! I made the website live today but am still waiting for the domain transfer to kick in.

      Delete
  6. I've always loved the Calvin and Hobbes. My Barbarians printed it out from somewhere and stuck it on my desk as a joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a firm believer that you can't possibly go wrong with any Calvin and Hobbes, ever.

      Delete
  7. I would love to see a post about goats in shoes carrying apostrophes. Glad to see you are honing your skills as I get ready to shoot you the latest manuscript . I am glad you are getting a real website too. Congrats on all the accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made the site live today but am still waiting on the domain transfer. In the meantime, it has one of those random names that was generated during my trial period while I set it up, lol. If you want to visit it before the ERE name kicks in, it's https://fife-lime.squarespace.com

      Odd one, huh? But soon it will be good ol' easyreaderediting.com and all will be well. And yep, I'm getting psyched about your latest MS!

      Delete