THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Editor's Notes #44: How to Improve the Indie Author Reputation


What do you think of when you hear the words "self-published"?

Are your first thoughts positive or negative? Are you a staunch supporter of indies, or do you stubbornly hold to the "traditionally published only" standard and turn your nose up even at smaller presses?

There was a time, not so long ago, that I swore I worked with the only indie authors who actually cared about their work. The self-publishing bandwagon had driven through town and was full to bursting with writers who thought they could finally make it big with the next bestseller—with little to no work involved, of course. All those publishers who'd said a polite "no, thank you" to them were obviously wrong, and they were going to prove it by self-publishing and striking it rich as a result.

The authors whose manuscripts I worked on took a lot of pride in their work, making sure their drafts were revised, revised, and revised again. They agonized over each word, and were not hesitant about hiring a professional editor, typesetter, and cover artist to make sure their books were on par with anything you'd find on the shelves at Barnes and Noble.

Unfortunately, they were in the minority.

So many writers put out so many unedited, badly formatted books with homemade MS Paint covers that the good books were lost in the sludge, and their work was, as the saying goes, painted with the same brush, resulting in the words "self-published" becoming a term of derision.

Slowly, the tide has turned, but it has taken years of perseverance on the part of determined authors to change the public's perception of self-published authors—now known as indies.

Perhaps the biggest change has come with the realization that there are some really great authors out there who have nothing to do with the Big 5 publishers. Sometimes the simplest explanations escape us for a while, but eventually we catch on. The truth is that there are some garbage authors who get published and some terrific authors who don't. The luck of the draw . . . an agent who's having a bad day . . . an acquisitions editor who may have loved your manuscript but knows their company can't guarantee enough sales of it because it's a bit out of the box . . . someone who saw your manuscript come across their desk but couldn't deal with looking at one more werewolf book . . . all those things may contribute to you getting the "nope" letter.

As more of the higher-quality writers persevere and self-publish, readers are gradually beginning to trust them. Many readers are even surprised to find that some have even turned down publishers in favor of self-publishing because they want to retain control over their final product.

Let's face it: the odds are slim for a new author to break through the Big 5. If you look around, there aren't too many new voices out there in that elite group. The odds are even slimmer that a new author will get such a killer deal that they'll become The Next Big Name.

BUT. And there's always a but, isn't there?

When indie authors, as a collective or as individuals, continue to strive for excellence—learning their craft, polishing their words, and putting out the good stuff—they'll gradually change people's perception of what self-publishing is all about, and what it's not. Those who are willing to raise the bar and work for it will continue to rise in the industry while those who continue to publish the equivalent of a first draft will eventually find themselves without readers.

As the baseline for quality goes higher, readers will tolerate less of the dross. Balance will be restored to the force, dogs and cats will live in peace together once again, and "indie published" will be seen as an opportunity to read something unique and wonderful.

15 comments:

  1. Dogs and cats, living together!
    I've read a lot of great books by self-published authors and some really bad ones published by the big five. It's all about quality and a great story, not who puts it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even hear the phrase "dogs and cats" without hearing Bill Murray's voice.

      I sincerely hope people start to get the idea that it doesn't matter how a book gets published—it matters how it's written. I read almost exclusively indies and small presses these days because I really don't like any of the cookie-cutter stuff the big five are putting out.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynda - you make absolute sense here ... and I'm sure some books are published because they will hook many in out of pure arousal for a subject - and thus make money for the publisher ... however badly they're written.

    We need to be proud of our work ... and through our blogging friends can find ways to publish to achieve some success for our work.

    I too hate cookie cutter works ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel like the bigger publishers are aiming for the lowest common denominator. People flock to whatever some talk show host says they should read, and they don't bother to think for themselves. I purposely avoid those because I rarely like mainstream anything.

      More and more, I so appreciate my indie author friends and how hard they work to put out their best stuff for a smaller but faithful audience.

      Delete
  3. You've written exactly what needs to be written. All indie authors really have to do the very best they can. The competition is fierce, so jumping in half-heartedly isn't going to work. Now I'm proofing this comment just in case I've made one of my famous typos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always save my best typos for when I'm in a group of writers or editors. Otherwise it's just no fun. But seriously, competition really is fierce, so there's no excuse not to put every effort into the work.

      Delete
  4. IMHO, the dross the big 5 put out will soon be as avoided as "self-publishing" was a few years ago . I got a big 5 book the other day that had many errors in it . So many that if I had submitted it to you as a draft to edit you would have shaken your head at me. 😁 And that was on the shelf . I am so proud of my fellow Indies that are making a difference one book at a time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing more and more comments from people who are astounded at how many errors they find in Big 5 books, because we are told we're supposed to expect more from top publishers. They're so busy churning out quickly that they're overlooking too much. If anything, I think their eventual downfall will be not only the error Factor, but because people want something different, and the Big 5 are only willing to print what they already know will make them money.

      Delete
  5. As one of that sea of indies, one who has put in the work, I am thrilled to read this post from a professional editor. My take on the Big Five is that they are knocking each other down in their zeal to recreate the Last Big Thing; I for one am not the least bit interested in the Last Big Thing.

    Yes, indies are a gamble quality-wise, but indies are the ones who are out here beyond the edge of the map opening new ground for exploration. I'm proud to be one of them, and always happy to support my hard-working colleagues. I know that if the general perception of indies as quality authors increases, I'll get my share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying, Jack! Blogger is still doing its glitch thing where it doesn't tell me I have any comments.

      I can safely say that you are one of the indies I think of when I consider why I read almost exclusively indie authors anymore. The ones I enjoy are those who put time and effort into learning, researching, and ultimately crafting the perfect sentences for their books.

      I like the visual of you mapping new frontiers. I picture one of those ice-cracker ships.

      Delete
  6. This was an informative post, Lynda. Have seen a lot of authors work really hard to self publish. I know someone who has done so well for herself by self publishing books that she now says NO to the big publishing houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa! I'm so sorry I didn't see your comment until today (grrr, Blogger).

      I know a good many authors who have self-published after checking out all the options and even after having offers made by publishers big and small. The better authors are realizing they just might not want to give up as much control over their product and profits, and are willing to give it a go on their own for the longer-term benefits.

      Delete
  7. I don't know what you're talking about. Anyone can get signed with the Big 5 AND become an instant bestseller . . . if they've first sold millions of dollars in music or in the movie industry. Other than that, how hard is it really? lol

    Okay, but in all seriousness, you're so right. Perseverance has indeed paid off and I'm so proud of indies sticking by their work and putting quality work out there.

    I love that readers are giving everyone a chance. They're turning more to subjective thoughts on the story itself rather than an assumption of the author's talent based solely on publishing platform without reading the books. Yay indies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I can't believe there are actually people out there who think it's easy, right?

      If I hadn't worked with authors like you, I would never have realized there was genuine quality out there in the indie world. I'm so glad I did, though! I've become more discerning, but indie authors have really stepped up their game over the past couple years, and it's finally being recognized.

      Bottom line is that the competition is too tough to slack off. Those who are in it for the long haul are willing to deal with the hard work so they can reap the rewards.

      Delete