THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, July 19, 2018

From the Circular File #2: But Will Your Book Be Free?

In the first installment of From the Circular File, I shared a story that started with an editing friend of mine and ended up in the midst of a group of professional editors. This week's story is my very own, from the ever-interesting DMs of Instagram.

I love Instagram. I love seeing literal snapshots of people's lives, whether they're putting their best face on or they have a mess of a house and crying children in the background as they attempt to video something completely unrelated to the house and children. I love sharing the things I think are funny, and I love the interaction with like-minded people that I can follow or not follow.

I've met authors on Instagram who have become clients, and I've so enjoyed the variety of the work and getting to know the writers a little better.

But . . .

There's always someone—or a bunch of someones—who move from person to person, seeking what they can get from strangers for nothing. I got an interesting request one evening in my Instagram direct message. The person started off by saying she wrote a book and "the publisher" said she needed editing but that she had great potential. She then said Those Words. You know, the ones that raise the red flag nice and high: "I'm a student and don't have much money."

Lovely person that I am, I did what I do best: I played dumb.


I knew the answer before she said it, but I had to ask because Mean Lynda had to make a point. If you are asking someone for free services, surely you must be a giver. The type of philanthropist who will give away the completed product for other people who "don't have much money." Right? No? Hmm.

So I did my best to patiently explain the obvious. To her credit, she didn't get hostile. But I'm sure she was wishing I'd just ignored her.

"Insulting" was actually the mildest word I could come up with to describe her request. And as much as I wanted to really let her have it, it's just not my style to be horribly rude to strangers, even on the internet. Even when that stranger has already been rude to me by approaching me only to ask if I'll do free work for her. So I turned on my mama/mentor section of my brain before I allowed the conversation to come its natural conclusion.

Of course, she disappeared right after giving a perfunctory "thanks." Never saw her around before that night, never saw her afterward. I'd love to think maybe I gave her food for thought, but most likely, she moved right along to someone else. I can only hope she ran into a lot of people just like me.

After I shared Circular File #1, I heard from a lot of authors who were disgusted with the behavior of the person I wrote about. Some of them were victims themselves, with friends asking them for free books so they could "read it and pass it around to all [my] friends." Another author said his friend told him he might [might!] read it if his buddy gave it to him for free. It's enough to turn good people suspicious and bitter about the very thing they love.

I'd love to hear from all of you on this topic. If you're an editor or a book designer or a cover artist, have you ever had someone ask/expect/demand free work? If you're an author, has anyone expected a free book from you and gotten upset if you've declined? I know some great authors who generously give books for the sheer enjoyment of knowing someone is reading their work—but it's always their choice, at their discretion, and never because a stranger was arrogant enough to demand it.

I'm sure I'll continue receiving queries like the one I've just written about, but if you have a similar story, I'll be happy to share it. Just leave me a note in the comments and we'll talk!





13 comments:

  1. My brother is a sparky and he gets this all the time, people wanting him to do electrical work for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Why, yes. I'd love to risk my life by working with your electrical system for no compensation. Thank you for the opportunity." lol

      I'm not sure what it is that makes people think this is okay behavior, especially when they'd be demanding compensation/overtime if asked to stay late at their own jobs.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynda - it's great you're setting the example of being polite and courteous, as well as offering a sensible suggestion - eg do your studying and learn ... don't try and creep through ... thanks - made me smile, though shouldn't have - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I'd love to be not-so-polite, I have to believe that most people have no idea what an absolutely rude practice this is. And you can smile all you wish!

      Delete
  3. When I first released By Right of Arms every other day I would get " send me a free book and I'll give you a review ." now this is a time when it was only available in print . I offered a ARC PDF and they would say no thank you or not respond at all. I'll share my review exchange stories for another post .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a whole group of people out there who want to "beta" just to get free reads, and who do exactly as you've described: they want a free book for a review, but only a print copy so they can sell it online (with or without having read/reviewed it). Grrr. They're often the same people who enter Goodreads giveaways so they can sell anything they win,whether they read it or not.

      Delete
    2. Or worst, they post a review and state things like there is not enough foreshadowing but they also state they skip sections of the book and can tell what is going on so what they skipped must have been fluff. GRRR Maybe the foreshadowing was in the part you skipped maybe??? OK sorry rant over.

      Delete
  4. I don't know why I've been missing your recent posts. For some reason, my blogroll was showing "https://easyreaderediting.com" instead of "https://easyreaderediting.blogspot.com!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystery solved! I finally set up a website (easyreaderediting.com) and stopped trying to do it all with my blog. Now my blog can just be its happy self, but I had to go back to the blogspot address.

      I'm still having trouble with blogger comments (and I'm guessing you are, too). I don't get notified, and then when I try to reply to each comment, the comment box just disappears. It takes about three screen refreshes before it allows me to do anything.

      I'm glad you're here now, though. :)

      Delete
    2. I edited my blogroll to list your blogspot address, so I'll get notifications each time you post.

      I only receive new comment notifications after I leave a comment and check off the "Notify me" box. But I have no trouble leaving comments on my blog or anyone else's.

      Delete
    3. Oddly, I'm not having trouble leaving them on other people's blogs—only replying on my own. It works eventually, but it's a new glitch so I'm paying attention.

      Either way, it's always good to see you here!

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty sure she went around asking . . . and as much as I like being nice, she would deserve to get rude answers if she ignored your great advice.

    As far as free books. Well . . . my hubby always has an opinion when I do giveaways for promotional purpose . . . but when he tells people about my books he always makes sure they get it for free. Funny, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be completely satisfied if she got the exact advice from everyone she approached.

      Free books . . . your hubby knows your books make him look good! He's not going to pass that up, even if he doesn't want to just give them away to strangers, lol.

      Delete