THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, February 21, 2019

WRITING MISCONCEPTIONS: The Myth of the "Perfect" Edit


I'm sure you've all heard the phrase "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." In the writing world this adage applies to the famed Perfect Edit™.

I'll be blunt right off the bat: the Perfect Edit is like a unicorn in that it doesn't exist. In fact, if anyone promises you a perfect job for your book, they're lying, because no one can promise perfection. Nor should they.

Often, new authors seek out a copyeditor and don't have a clear idea of the scope of the job. Sometimes they just don't know that it's common practice to hire a proofreader after edits are complete and the book is typeset. Whatever the case, there is sometimes a "situation" at the job's completion where an author is dissatisfied because they've found an error or two in the MS. Sometimes, they even demand money back in compensation.

Here are the facts:

  1. Guaranteed perfection is an impossibility. Impossible for humans, impossible for grammar-checking software.
  2. An editor is not suddenly an amateur or a hack just because something got missed. There should be no accusations of "You call yourself a professional?" bandied about.
  3. The industry standard for error rate is 5%. This applies to Big Five publishers and everyone else, all the way down to the freelancer. Most editors, including myself, consider that more than fair, and in fact have error rates much lower, closer to 1% or so. The basic idea is that if there are 100 errors in the MS, an editor should be expected to catch 95 of them. When a manuscript has 2000 revisions, missing 100 of them is not likely to happen. Missing 5? Maybe. And we're talking actual errors, not style choices. What about those heavy line edits that end up with 13,000 revisions? If I've even missed up to ten things, I'd still be counting myself a success because of the job's scope of work, since—by the book—I could have over 600 misses and still get a 95% catch rate.

I suppose the biggest hurdle to overcome when dealing with an author who expects perfection boils down to asking a few specific questions:

  1. What is an error? Often, a client will see what they think is an editorial mistake that is in fact correct usage. Real-life example: did you know that the process of rummaging through someone's belongings or the quick turning of pages in a book is called riffling? That's right, it's not a typo. There is an extra letter in that word and it's correct. But we've heard it called rifling, we've said the word with the long "i" sound, and we've spelled it with a single "f" without a thought. And why do I know this odd fact? Because I missed it on an editing test six-plus years ago. If I'd seen "riffling" in a book, I would have thought it was a misspelling and that the editor missed something.
  2. Is it a rule or a style? This goes along with with the "what is an error?" question. A while back, I did an entire series on "The Rules" and showed how zombie rules are simply styles or tradition, but not genuine grammar or usage rules. (If you ever want to know more about zombie rules, all you have to do is visit any forum where grammar trolls abound, quoting . . . from somewhere other than their mouth, of course . . . what they think they know.) An author I worked with once got a scathing comment from someone on Amazon who told him he needed to learn what the word "decimated" meant. In the context of that book, the word was used to describe a city's destruction after a bombing. Historically (almost archaically) the word has meant "to select by lot and kill every tenth man" or "to exact a tax of 10 percent from," but the usage in my author's book was correct, drawing from the additional definition, "to cause great destruction or harm to." That's all according to Merriam-Webster and completely legit. But the commenter on Amazon was so intent on proving how much smarter he was that he ignored the changing language and its usage.
  3.  Are we, as editors, somehow promoting the impossible when we point out trivial editorial glitches in published work? After all, we can't say perfection is impossible (beyond the occasional one-pagers) and then point out the missing punctuation we would have caught if we were the editors for a particular bestseller.

Really, how do we present the concept of "acceptable error rates" to a client without sounding like we're making excuses ahead of time for what we're going to miss? All I can tell people is that I do my very best to make sure their work is as error-free as I'm able to get it, and if they have questions about errors or perceived errors, I'm always open to take a look and discuss them.

Errors happen. We don't want them to, but they do.

It's considered a courtesy for an author to send their editor a complimentary copy of the book they've worked on. Probably half the authors I've edited for have sent me their signed, completed books, and I'm thrilled to have them on my bookshelves. But here's the weird thing: I am usually hesitant to open them, other than to read whatever personal message they've added. Why? Almost every week, an editor in one of my groups talks about making the mistake of opening the thank-you book and immediately finding an error they missed. This happened to me a few years ago, when I worked on a series of books that that author sent me as a set. The first book was misprinted, and started on page 30. When I opened it up to look for the acknowledgment, all I saw was a glaring error on that first page of narrative: Bob side. Not Bob sighed, as it was meant to be. Who even misses something that obvious? I was appalled. Thankfully, when I pointed it out to the author, he was gracious and said, "You went over that text and I rewrote things so many times. At some point, we have to call it 'done.' So let's call it done and don't worry about it."

Sometimes, you just have to let go and call it done.

And besides, we all know the best way to find those lingering errors is to hit "send." Right?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda - I can quite see what you say here ... one has to be fair and be reasonable. If I'd seen riffling ... I'd have thought error - but I see it's not ... I'd hate to get into a conflict with someone ... just let it be. Excellent post though - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny sometimes what people expect and/or demand. I always tell them I'll do the best I'm capable of, since clearly I don't want to miss any errors, either.

      Delete
  2. Great point about "ignor[ing] the changing language and its usage." Every so often when watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (set in 1958), I question the use of a word or expression. I'll hear a phrase like "Are we on the same page here?" and wonder if that particular, figurative usage was applicable to that era. Or they'll say "focus" as it's often used today, meaning to pay attention to the matter at hand, and I think "Okay, 'focus' has been around for hundreds of years, long before photography, but that exact usage?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's actually the topic of one of my future blog posts. So many writers are ultra-careful about anachronisms, and others just seem to never give it a thought, but those things are jarring to readers. It doesn't have to be something as obvious as watching TV in the eighteenth century; it can be exactly as you've said, with a word or phrase that feels a little too modern for the setting.

      Delete
    2. That particular show is usually pretty good when it comes to stuff happening sixty years ago. But when I hear a character in a movie like The Black Dahlia (set in 1947) use an expression like "back in the day" (which dates to the '90s), I cringe.

      Delete
  3. I love the example of Riffled and rifled. If I wrote "Bob rifled the gun or Bob riffled the gun." You have two totally different things . Anyone that expects a book to be perfect has unreal expectation. I love these type of posts. Keep it up Lynda .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JT! I'm not sure if these posts are informative, or just a way to vent, but I'm glad you appreciate them. The more forums I visit and the more groups I'm in, the more I realize there's an awful lot of misinformation going around.

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised at an acceptable error rate of 5%. The reason I gave up using dictating software was that having to change that many errors was a huge amount of work - not worth the time the dictation 'saved.'

    And OCR used to be maybe that accurate.

    I'm too old to take on many of the things dictionaries are forcing themselves to accept, starting with decimate and impact. Since my own usage is unlikely to be labeled 'wrong' in my lifetime, and the book is set in 2005, I can continue to ignore 'modern usage' for now. If I'm not trendy, oh, well.

    At least I won't be introducing anachronisms by trying to be up-to-date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, isn't it? Five percent doesn't sound like a big number, but when you get into the realistic stats of most people's manuscripts, five seems like a huge amount. A manuscript I worked on last year had over 12,000 revisions after the first round and another couple thousand by the end of the second. There was just so much rewriting that needed done, it was hard to keep track of what was what. When all was said and done, the author mentioned finding five places where a word was missing, and my first thoughts were that I'd probably removed them myself, haha, and that I was amazed there were that few.

      Delete
  5. All so true! If you want to be taken seriously as a professional author and you can't edit, you'd better plan on hiring a good editor. When you write fiction, you are weaving a spell around the reader. Said reader wants you to succeed; he picked up a book, your book, because he wants to be entertained. But every typo, every rifle being riffled, every person who turns up somewhere they couldn't have possibly gotten to in the allotted time, yanks him out of the magic, and at some point (it varies by reader), he's going to decide you aren't worth the trouble... And he's going to tell everyone he knows.

    Learn it yourself or buy it from a pro, but quality editing is not an option!

    ReplyDelete