THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, March 7, 2019

But Why Does Editing Cost So Much?

Photo source: Skitterphoto via Pexels

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

If I had a quarter for every time someone expected me to edit their work for free ("have fun with it" was my all-time favorite) or questioned the project's cost, I'd be . . . maybe not rich, but I'd probably have enough to cover a project.

Whenever I hear someone complain about the cost of things, I mentally go through a few scenarios. First, I try to find out the specific item and the dollar amount that's being discussed, and then I attempt to reason out what is being provided for the cost.

BUT WHY: THE VALUE
In some cases, I want to know what it's made of (is this desk pressboard or solid wood?) before making a determination of value. Is $100 reasonable for a high-quality piece of stainless steel cookware because I'll only buy it once in my lifetime, rather than replace a cheaper type every few years because it wears out or cooks unevenly? (Spoiler alert: this is a no-brainer for me. I'm a firm believer in good cookware.)

BECAUSE: THE VALUE
A well-edited manuscript has greater value to the reader than an unedited (or poorly edited) one. A reader doesn't want to slog through sentences that need a second look to make sense . . . or typos, bad grammar, and so much repetition that the story becomes tedious. Well-written books are cherished and reread, given as gifts, and recommended to others.

BUT WHY: THE TIME INVOLVED
If a service is being performed, I need to decide what's more valuable to me: the time that's freed up by having someone else do the task, or the money I'd save by doing it myself. It may well be worth paying someone to come to my home to vacuum, dust, and mop once every week or two if I'm extremely busy and the house is falling apart because we're all going different directions at once. On the other hand, if I'm home all day, am able-bodied, and don't have small children around, it might be difficult to justify that expense when I have the time and good health to take care of things myself.

BECAUSE: THE TIME INVOLVED
Editing an average manuscript for a novel can take me about 40 hours or more. If the edit is a heavier one, that number can easily double. I've logged in over 70 hours on just a first round of heavy edits before. If a book edit is going to take weeks of my time, then it needs to compensate for weeks of income because it's time I can't use to schedule anything else. This is why it's always a good idea to get your manuscript in the best shape possible before sending it off to an editor. A more polished manuscript means the editor can often work faster, which usually means a lower cost to you. It's fine to not worry about it and "let the editor catch that," but that will directly affect the price.

BUT WHY: THE SKILL/EXPERTISE
Face it: there is no possible way for a person to exhibit a professional level of skill in every area of life. Just ask anyone who's ever done a major home renovation. There's a reason that contractors hire out the specialty things like drywall finishing, plumbing, electrical wiring, and more. I may be able to change an outlet, but it doesn't mean I'm capable or licensed to rewire my whole house. I can create decent enough images for the editing quotes I post weekly on Instagram or Twitter, but I hired a graphic designer to create the branding for my business because it was important for my logo to not look like a DIY project.

BECAUSE: THE SKILL/EXPERTISE
There's a great quote I love by Amy Einsohn, author of The Copyeditor's Handbook:
In many ways, being a copyeditor is like sitting for an English exam that never ends: at any moment, your knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, usage, syntax, and diction is being tested.
You can love to read and not know all the rules. You can get irked by other people's grammar mistakes and still not catch the ones you make. You can be a writer and still have to look up some of the usage and trends of our ever-changing language. You wouldn't want someone who made a birdhouse once to be the person you hire to put an addition on to your home. Let the professionals do what they're best at; we love what we do and will take care of things you didn't even know were in need of attention.

I'll leave you with a direct quote from an editor I know, because I've also been hired for those re-edits she mentions.

My own thoughts when someone says they can "find someone else to do it for only $200" usually run along the lines of "Yes, you can. A lot of my work has come from re-editing those $200 jobs, so I know those kinds of prices can be found."
Respect the value. Respect the time spent. And respect the expertise. You won't regret it. 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda - great post and I'm sure so true ... I get irritated when I see errors in posts, yet of course I make them myself ... and often only pick them up when I re-read them many posts later.

    This is a really good post showing us 'your value' as an editor ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary! We all do make mistakes (which is why I have someone else read these posts ahead of time, even though they're only 800 words or so) but recognizing the value of the person who can fix them is the key.

      Delete
  2. There's so much for free on the internet, nobody wants to pay for anything if they can avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. And I've taken advantage of the resources I can for my own interests. But my beef is when people contact an editor and then act as if it's an imposition to pay. If I'm actually to the point of hiring out work of any type, I'm prepared to pay for the time and expertise.

      Delete
    2. I think part of the problem is new authorsauthors think they have to sell their books for $0.99 or give them away to "build an audience" again due to all the bad advice out there. I saw in a writer's group that I belong to that one should start their book priced at $0.99. That is contrary to most pricing practices. I say this to bring up the point that a person thinking they will have to sell 1000 copies to pay for professional editing and cover art, it makes them turn toward the cheaper services .

      Delete
    3. That's probably one huge factor, J.T.

      When authors undervalue their own work because they're afraid they won't sell enough right out of the gate, they're not likely to pay for something that (in the short term) they don't see as financially viable.

      Delete
    4. These same people would never have the nerve to walk into a restaurant and ask if they could get a meal for free.

      I'll bet these writers have been constantly asked to write things for free, anything from punching up resumes to "splitting the profits" on a book they'd spend months writing for someone. But they don't understand why you expect pay for actual work?

      Delete
    5. I had someone years ago who expected to share profits with me (assuming, not asking) and I had to put a definite halt to it before the whole idea gained any traction. Thankfully, the author was understanding when I explained how many books he'd need to sell, and at what price range, to pay me pennies at a time over . . . years, maybe . . . for work I'd long since completed. "Maybe" sales don't keep my electricity turned on or put food on my table.

      On the other side of it, there are way too many people who take advantage of writers by asking for freebies, whether that's the "help me with my resume" thing or something bigger—like "we'd love it if you could do our monthly newsletter for the club." Things that take skill and time should always be compensated. I do my share of charity work when I feel led to do it, but I don't like being told when and how.

      Delete
    6. Exactly. The only time I'll work "on spec" is if the project is my own. I'd naturally never expect anyone to pay me to work on my own novels, but if you want me to work on yours, show me the money!

      Delete
    7. I truly believe that people feel they should only pay for things others are forced to do—things they don't enjoy. Clearly, if you enjoy what you do for a living, you should always want to do it for the sheer pleasure of it.

      Delete
  3. That comes under the general heading of 'you get what you pay for.' And you deserve it, if you're going to market with editing you got at a 'bargain price.'

    Editing takes a lot of time - time costs money. The better the editor, the more she will be charging for her valuable time and skills. Or should be.

    I know, because I have opted for self-editing (long story, boring), and it takes a LOT of my time, and, if you wanted to buy my time, you couldn't afford it.

    I find it laughable that they think AI is going to replace humans for editing. Try any of the editing programs - and don't severely restrict what you want them to do for you - and then accept their 'suggestions.'

    Easier to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying I'm going to "edit" a document using only AI programs and do a post about my results. The suggestions Word gives me are often laughable—but only because I actually know they're wrong. Newer writers who may not know any better are in for a world of trouble.

      Delete
    2. Please do! But don't use mine - the programs are very bad at anything literary.

      I'd love to see that post.

      Delete
    3. I will gladly send you a short piece for the example.

      Delete
    4. I'd figured I would just grab something from the Way Back Machine and run the grammar check on it. Don't worry, Alicia! I would never use yours—I still need to read it and want to enjoy it without tainting it.

      JT, I'll let you know if I need a sample. This could be fun.

      Delete
    5. I'll make it extra bad for you.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for the visit and comment. You're one of the authors who recognizes the value of the extra effort on your own end of things as well as the value the editor brings to the table.

      Delete
  5. Your cost as an editor is simply PRICELESS!
    That being said, I'm glad you did a breakdown. The time and skills you (and other editors too . . . I guess . . . I just want to talk about you lol) is hardly every appreciated. This is a great eye-opening piece for those who truly want to understand what they're paying for and why they should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course you can talk about me. I don't mind one bit.

      I think it's helpful to break it all down in terms people can relate to, since editing words is such a not-concrete thing in most people's minds.

      Delete