THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Click here to visit me at my new digs, easyreaderediting.com/blog, right on my website. Same content you've come to know and love, but everything's together on the same site. See you there!

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Worst Writing Advice: Contractions Aren't Allowed

When I started writing about bad writing advice, I knew there was a lot floating around out there. I'd see it from time to time on forums through Goodreads, Facebook, and other places where writers gather to share encouragement and ideas. And yet, when I'd sit down to write my posts, all the oooh, this bugs me! moments would abandon me, making me wonder why I thought it was a good idea to do this series in the first place.

Not so this week. This post is all about contractions.

They seem to come up a lot when talking with fiction writers. For some reason I've never been able to track, many writers are under the impression that one should never use contractions when penning fiction.

I can't think of much that makes dialogue sound more stilted than someone who doesn't use contractions, unless it's Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, in which case it sounds perfectly normal. Granted, there might be a good reason for it (like Data's programming limitations). A book I edited years ago featured a mage who never used contractions, and that trait set off his dialogue nicely, making his voice easy to identify. Or perhaps a character who doesn't use contractions is someone who is royalty, or more formal in their speech because of a class distinction. That's fine. Perfectly fine. More than fine.

What isn't fine is when someone tries to tell you that NO ONE can use contractions when writing. Scientific writing has a tradition of not using contractions, but this blog post by Stephen Heard discusses why even that is an irritation for him personally. He states that the use of contractions in scientific text is seen as "unprofessional or unscientific" but then points out that the reader's perception of that is circular in its logic: "we avoid contractions in scientific writing because they sound informal, but they sound informal to us only because we're used to avoiding them in scientific writing!"

Somehow, newer writers have taken the traditions of scientific writing and morphed them into some sort of unbreakable curse rule for all writing, fiction included. But let's face it, not only is this not a rule, it's ridiculous to attempt.

First of all, most people use contractions when they speak. (See my Editor's Notes post about dialogue sounding real.) And if a good work of fiction is supposed to reach people by feeling "real," what better way to give authenticity than by mimicking real-life speech patterns?

On The Write Practice, Joe Bunting discusses the fact that English teachers tell their students that contractions should never be used in writing, but he personally suggests it "only so you don't ruin your grade." His practical advice: ". . . if you're writing anything remotely creative, and especially if you're writing dialogue, you need to be using contractions. Real people use them and so should you."

Heck, even The Chicago Manual of Style says, "Most types of writing benefit from the use of contractions. If used thoughtfully, contractions in prose sound natural and relaxed and make reading more enjoyable." (5.105) If CMOS says it, you know I'm all in.

Contractions are not a modern gimmick. They've been around for centuries. Even Beowulf had contractions in it.

The important thing to remember is that the "no contractions" thing is NOT a rule. Fight anyone who tries to tell you it is. Sound natural. Sound relaxed. Make the reading more enjoyable, and live to write creatively!

20 comments:

  1. As a scientist I'm used to writing without contractions and I have to remember to "switch on" contractions when I am writing fiction. It's something I keep an eye out for in my edits.

    Sometimes, though, it can be deliberate to not use a contraction to show emphasis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that you remind yourself to make the switch! I agree that a lack of contraction can change the entire feel of something, allowing the reader to "hear" the emphasis.

      Delete
  2. No contractions would indeed sound stuffy and unnatural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm editing something without contractions in dialogue, I'll flag it for the author and ask if it's purposeful, because so often it sounds like two robots conversing. And it gets tiresome to read.

      Delete
  3. Utilizing contractions in dialogue is something I insist on whenever I'm advising anyone, unless, as you pointed out, the lack of contraction use is a defining characteristic of a particular speaker. As for contractions in narration in fiction or (for example) scientific articles or the like, I see nothing wrong with them as long as they're nothing too outlandish.

    Once I saw someone have his story's omniscient narrator use "the stuff hit the fan," and it really rubbed me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is about some people who suddenly think everything needs to sound formal if it's in written form. It's the same people who say "I" in place of me because it sounds fancier or something, not knowing there are times when "I" is actually incorrect.

      Laughing at "the stuff hit the fan." What the heck? Commit to the real phrase or leave it out entirely.

      Delete
    2. Major pet peeve: "she went to the store with Suzy and I" constructions. It takes but a second to break the compound subject into two, and check the fuzzy one: "she went to the store with I" - but most people won't make the effort.

      Delete
    3. I should do a series on just peeves. I'm sure I could get a lot of contributions from authors, editors, readers, and everyone else!

      Delete
    4. "Most people won't make the effort." You are so right. People seem to think "I" is almost always the right choice because they were told it was wrong to say things like "Me and Jack went to the baseball game." I once had an argument with my fiancee -- this is the woman who bragged that she'd gotten through school without ever having read a book -- because a news anchor said "Join Liz and me at eleven" during a commercial. My fiancee insisted he should have said "Join Liz and I."

      Delete
  4. I tend to use no contractions to set apart characters whose native language is not English, such as Inez in Stingaree. Other than that, they sound perfectly normal in everyone else's speech, and also in the narrative portions, as both I and my readers are, I presume, first-language English speakers. How I wish I'd thought of this early in my career; it might have done wonders for those crazy phonetic German accents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Jack, I think you may never get over the German accents. Live-and-learn moments abound, don't they?

      I see it the way you do, though. They sound perfectly normal in speech, so why would you want to write something that's not normal?

      Delete
  5. Since fiction writing is giving birth to a story, I just assume you'll need a few contractions to get through the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where's my drum kit when I need a solid Vegas ba-dum-chaaa?

      Delete
  6. I have a couple characters who don't use contractions. One is a older woman who simply speaks more formally. The other are my Athenque. I probably should have the latter use contractions, but I wanted their language to seem a little odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sounds like a perfectly good reason to use and not use them, Karen. Each is purposeful.

      Delete
  7. "Watch your gutter speak young lady . Contractions are a laziness of the tongue."says the 3000 year old vampire. I agree that contractions are normal and should be allowed . I used to not use contractions in my narrative but do now and my flow is much more natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contractions = gutterspeak. I like it, lol. So I guess all these new writers have been listening to vampires! No wonder they're all screwy; the undead (and the mostly dead) give terrible advice as a general rule.

      Delete
    2. especially 3000 year old royal ones...

      Delete
  8. Hi Lynda - if it's academic - it has to be professional ... but if it's dialogue or 'chatty' then let it 'sound' or 'read' like that ...

    Love JT's comment ... what fun! cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, oh yes. If it's chatty, then it needs to sound like people do when they're chatting.

      JT is a hoot.

      Delete